Q&A

Q: Are LED lights better for the environment?

Answer:

Products that last 10 to 20 times longer than their counterparts are inevitably better for the environment. And with energy-saving at 8 to 10 times incandescent and four times of fluorescent LEDs are the leader when it comes to lighting with energy-saving and carbon footprint reducing technologies. Besides various metals and plastics ,gallium arsenide (GaAs), gallium phosphide (GaP), or gallium arsenide phosphide (GaAsP). are combined and grown into crystals under extreme pressure and heat, they are then cooled sliced and polished. Thin layers with different electron properties are fused onto a substrate (Chip).

Depending on the manufacturer, minimal or no amounts of arsenic or lead are used in the manufacturing process. This does not amount to the products being covered in poison and there would be less arsenic in LED luminaire than a single apple seed.

The carbon footprint generated in LED manufacturing is quickly reclaimed when that product replaces the traditional lighting fixture.

Q: Are compact fluorescence and LEDs difficult to recycle?

A: Compact fluorescent contain highly toxic mercury. They are collected by some municipalities,( however research indicates they are crushed and put into barrels labeled toxic waste). LEDs luminaries that are designed to replace standard light bulbs currently are using an aluminum heat sink making almost the entire LED bulb recyclable and possibly refurbished.

 

Q: Aren't LEDs just as hazardous as CFL's if they break?

Answer:  Breaking a CFL could potentially release mercury into the immediate environment (government websites suggest to replace one square meter of carpet where the breakage occurred). Breaking an LED light requires more or less the same cleanup as breaking the traditional lightbulb or maybe some plastic shards but no toxic material is released into the environment unless the components are crushed into a powder and inhaled. LEDs in manufacturing use mostly the same chemicals any plastics plant would use, the chips themselves mostly consist of nano crystals of elements found in the earth that are non-toxic.

 

 

Q:  How are LEDs so efficient?

Answer:

   LED is a completely different technology from standard light bulb technologies. Edison's light bulb converts only 10% of the energy into light while the other 90% is converted to heat. Other lighting technologies from the 60s rely on passing electricity through gas sealed in a tube(legacy lighting), while quite bright these HID (high-intensity discharge) lights, metal halide and high-pressure sodium consumed vast amounts of electricity. Fortunately for manufacturers these lights have very low operational hours and must be replaced frequently, not to mention their ballasts suffer from heat failure and loud audible buzzing is often detected.

 

LED luminaries by contrast, convert over 90% of the energy into usable light. And they're completely quiet during operation. Recent advancements in production technology is allowing companies to produce large ,surface mount diode (SMD) some measuring over 6 inches across.

 

 

Isn't there a more efficient technology right around the corner?

Answer:        

 With light bulb bans coming into effect across the globe, no other technology can come close to the energy savings and luminance output per watt that the new HB LED can produce. There are some promising new technologies in development, including  (HIR) halogen infrared reflecting, (PLNs) photo luminescent nano fibers, (ESL) electron stimulated luminescence. However LED is the one currently in mainstream use. LED innovations such as Li-Fi coming to market.

 

Do I have to completely convert all of my lighting to SSL to see a savings in energy?

Answer:  

    Start by changing the one light you're always replacing anyway. Or choose a light that is on 12 or more hours a day, completely converting a residential dwelling or business to LED lighting is both energy-efficient and cost effective, being that over time it means more money in your pocket and less impact on the environment.

 

 

I use 100 W incandescent bulbs, but they're on a dimmer, am I saving electricity?

Answer:     

  Not necessarily! In what seems to defy logic older rotary dimmers do not provide the energy savings you would expect. However newer solid-state dimmers do reduce electricity consumption at the bulb. Replace old rotary dimmers.

 

 

Are LED bulbs dimmable?

Answer: 

take care when you're choosing LED products that the product specifications suit your needs, not all LED bulbs are dimmable, the reason is in the circuitry inside, it is meant to supply a stable current from different power sources usually in a range between 100 and 240 VAC.

 

 Some products are completely controllable and can be dimmed 100%. Dimmable MR 16 and GU 10 LED bulbs contain electronics that make them compatible with most TRIAC dimmers (solid-state dimmers)

 

 

Q: Will a 5 W LED lamp replace a 60 W incandescent bulb?

Answer:     

  LED manufacturers have been racing for a 10 million-dollar government purse known as the L. prize. American companies such as Cree as well as European countries as Siemens have recently produced the chips that achieve these long sought-after goals.

While a screw in LED bulb may not be appropriate in every situation, LED down lights and new fixtures incorporating directional LED light engines, can help you put light where you want it.

 

Q: LEDs seem very expensive, is the price ever going to come down?

Answer:  

      Sometimes LEDs look expensive when comparing with traditional incandescent equivalent. When life span and energy savings are taken into account, almost all of the time the LED will save you money in the long run. Manufacturing of LEDs is still a relatively new business, the new high brightness LEDs HB LEDs use aluminum and other metal sinks draw heat away sensitive LED components. These are non-degrading components that increase costs for manufacturers.

Recent advances in thermoplastics will allow manufacturers to replace aluminum and copper components with composite plastic components reducing the amount of aluminum and related fabrication. These and a multitude of other advancements will help bring an end to the economic hurdles SSL (solid-state lighting) have faced entering the marketplace.

 

 

All my incandescent lightbulbs help heat my house, don't they?

Answer:

    Although it is true that 90% of the energy consumed by incandescent ball is converted to heat waste, they are an incredibly inefficient heat generating devices. Remember as well we don't always want to heat our house and in that case air-conditioning is often used resulting in even more wasted energy and resources.

 

 

I've heard the light from the LED is blueish  and flickering, is it?

Answer:    

    In the pioneering days of LED manufacturers creating a white light had limited success, the result was a cool blue fairly dim glow, some of the earlier puck lights and tube replacements emitted a cool white light mostly because it was brighter. The light LEDs of today are available in a full range of color temperatures, from the Reds of candlelight to the blue spectrum of natural sunshine.

The advancements in the electronic components for driving LED light engines has come light years, providing flicker free and maintenance-free operation that have lifespans equaling a long life solid-state lighting products.

 

 

I've stocked up on hundred watt lightbulbs why should I change the LED?

Answer:    

   Standard incandescent bulbs have been around for over 100 years now, sadly their energy efficiency still stands at only 10% of the energy expended is converted to actual usable light. The rest is converted to heat and rises into an already warming atmosphere. LED on the other hand converts over 90% of the energy to usable light, making it 8 to 10 times more efficient. Standard incandescent bulbs suffer catastrophic failure(burnout) after a mere 2 to 5000 hours, while LED manufacturers are claiming between 30,000 and 50,000 hours of useful life span. Do the math.

 

 

What type of lights can be replaced with LED lights?

Answer:    

   New LED engines known as HB LED (high brightness light emitting diode) have allowed designers and engineers to incorporate LEDs in everything from automotive to lighting solutions for Third World countries. Every type of light has an LED equivalent, as always choosing the bulb\fixture to suit your particular needs is key energy efficiency as well as cost efficiency.



Older Post Newer Post